It astounds me that there are still people who don’t listen to This American Life. If you’re among them, you’re missing out on the most consistently fantastic hour of entertainment available.
Stop it. Start with these:
- A Little Bit of Knowledge: Dan Savage on why his six-year-old doesn’t want his dads to get married, the proper pronunciation of “xing,” and you’ll finally understand what I’m talking about when I reference “Modern Jackass.”
- Notes on Camp: The #1 episode in their archive, and for good reason. If you went to camp, you’ll love it — even if you hated camp like I did — and if you didn’t go to camp you might end up wishing you had.
- Mind Games: Improv Everywhere gets what they’ve got coming to them.
- Lessons: Spaulding Gray opens the show and one of my favorite contributors talks about taking his three-year-old to swimming lessons with the fascist who taught me swimming lessons as a wee guppy in Sandwich, NH.
- Recordings for Someone: This contains the phrase “you and the Little Mermaid can go f**k yourselves.” C’mon. You’re intrigued.
I’ve listened to more than 400 hours of this show. I’m jealous of anyone that has the entire catalog to discover.
If you’re a fan, what are your favorites?